Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Anchors Aweigh!

Sometimes Oracle Reports can seem like a black box at times.Take for instance the rendering algorithm. I've read description of how items are placed on the page and there's the idea of implicit and explicit anchoring. Explicit anchoring is when the user actually creates an anchor, thus overiding any implicit anchor.
If only you could display the implicit anchors...if only.....


Well, it turns out this has been available all this time. To access Anchoring Information, go to Tools / Options / Navigator / Layout and then click on Anchoring Information. The Object Navigator will now display a new node called 'Anchoring Information' for each object. Both parent and child anchors are listed.

I can't claim this is poorly documented, but I can honestly say I never knew this was available. For my own piece of mind, I polled several other experienced developers and not a single one knew we could display the implicit anchors. So don't beat yourself up over it.

Our journey continues...




No comments: