Wednesday, July 14, 2010

This Segment Brought To You By..Oracle Reports

This doesn't involve ODTUG Kaleidoscope, or even ODTUG at all. It involves the day job, ye ole 9 to 5.

Since joining Sumitomo I've been tasked with more report work than at my previous stop. Not only do I not mind, I actually enjoy it in a masochistic kind of way.


Oracle Reports deserves it's reputation, both good and bad. A skilled developer can use it to do everything short of splitting the atom. At the same time it can be downright frustrating. Here's a tip I've found helpful in copying and pasting large sections of reports.

Say you've got a lengthy layout and you need to duplicate the footer section (coming soon to a blog post near you) Left to its own devices the newly pasted items will display at the top of the layout model. The solution is to first create a target frame to house the new pasted items. Once the new items are pasted in, simply delete the target frame. Season to taste. I'll go into more detail in an upcoming post on how to secure a variable height footer to the bottom of the last page.

Our journey continues...

No comments: